Home / Covid-19, situation in Italy

Covid-19, situation in Italy


Daily report

All the processed data collected from various sources are published at the same time on the National Civil Protection Department's interactive:

  • Dashboard map
  • Daily data sheet (Covid-19 Cases update) with the aggregated number of daily cases from the regions/autonomous provinces;
  • Epidemiological-surveillance infographic (ISS Epidemiological Infographic) produced by the Higher Health Institute (ISS), with individual case data from positive tests diagnosed by the regions/autonomous provinces;

Weekly monitoring report Phase 2

For the management of Phase 2, a specific monitoring system on epidemiological data and response capacity of regional health services has been activated, introduced with the decree of the Ministry of Health of April 30, 2020. The monitoring is developed by a “control booth” consisting of the Ministry of Health, the Higher Institute of Health and the Regions.

Key points Covid-19 weekly monitoring, report from October 5-11, 2020

  • An analysis of the data for the period October 5-11, 2020 is provided below. Due to the time between exposure to the pathogen and the development of symptoms, and between these and the diagnosis and subsequent notification, many of the cases reported this week are likely to have become infected at the end of September. Some of the cases identified by screening, however, may have contracted the infection in earlier periods.
  • The virus is now circulating throughout the country. This week a strong increase in cases was observed, which brings the cumulative incidence (ISS flow data) in the last 14 days to 75 per 100 000 inhabitants (period 28/9 - 11/10) (vs. 44.37 per 100 000 inhabitants in the period 21/9 - 4/10). In the same period, the number of symptomatic cases almost doubled (15,189 symptomatic cases in the period 28/9 - 11/10 vs 8,198 symptomatic cases in the period 21/9 - 4/10).
  • All Regions/PPAA, except one, have reported an increase in the number of diagnosed cases, compared to the previous week (ISS flow). The percentage of new cases that were detected through contact tracing activities continued to drop (28.8% of new cases vs. 31.8% the previous week). The percentage of new cases detected through screening activities also decreased (31.1% vs. 33.2%) The percentage of cases detected through the appearance of symptoms increased (31.6% vs. 29.1% last week). In 8.5% of cases, no diagnostic findings were reported.
  • In the period  September 24-  October 07, 2020, the Rt calculated on symptomatic cases is 1.17 (95%CI: 1.03 - 1.50).
  • A total of 4,913 active outbreaks were reported, of which 1,749 new (the adopted definition of outbreak foresees the identification of 2 or more positive cases linked to each other), both increasing for the eleventh consecutive week (in the previous week of monitoring, 3,805 active outbreaks were reported, of which 1,181 new). Outbreaks were reported in almost all provinces (102/107). Most of these outbreaks continue to occur at home (80.3%). The percentage of outbreaks detected in recreational activities remained stable (4.2% vs. 4.1% in the previous week).
  • This week there is an increase in the number of outbreaks where transmission could have taken place in the school environment, but intra-school transmission remains a limited transmission dynamic overall: 3.8% of all new outbreaks where transmission has been reported. However, extra-school activities can act as a trigger for transmission chains where prevention measures are not respected.
  • There is a sharp increase in the number of new cases outside the known transmission chains. This week the Regions/PAA reported 9,291 cases, where no epidemiological link was found (vs. 4,041 the previous week), which includes 33% of all cases reported during the week.
  • Also this week, on a national level, an important increase in the number of hospitalized people was observed (4,519 vs 3,287 in the medical area, 420 vs 303 in intensive care on 11/10 and 4/10 days, respectively) and, consequently, the employment rates of hospitalizations in the medical area and in intensive care increased, with some Regions/PPAA rising above 10% in both areas.

Mortality Report

The  ISS and ISTAT report of July 16, shows that on  May 25, 2020, Covid-19 was the direct cause of death in 89% of deaths of people who tested positive for Sars-CoV-2, while for the remaining 11% the causes of death were cardiovascular disease (4.6%), cancer (2.4%), respiratory system diseases (1%), diabetes (0.6%), dementia and digestive diseases (0.6% and 0.5% respectively).

The latest ISS update shows an average age 80 years in deceased patients and an average of 3.4 pre-existing diseases.

Read more

See the map:

See more 

Data ultimo aggiornamento: 19 ottobre 2020


  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Stampa
  • Invia email

Tag associati a questa pagina

App Immuni
A chi rivolgersi


Vedi tutto